VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT NO
|Programme Officer – Research Systems Management|
|Research Systems Manager|
3 Years Renewable
27 February 2019
The African Academy of Sciences (The AAS) is a non-aligned, non-political, not-for-profit pan African organisation. The AAS’s vision is to see transformed lives on the African continent through science.
Our tripartite mandate is recognising excellence through The AAS’ highly prestigious fellowship, Affiliates and award schemes, providing advisory and think tank functions for shaping Africa’s Science, Technology and Innovation (STI) strategies and policies and implementing key Science, Technology and Innovation programmes addressing Africa’s developmental challenges.
The AAS has set up a Research Management Programme (ReMPRO) in response to the critical gaps that were identified in building the continent’s research and development ecosystems that support a vibrant research culture and leadership. The overall goal of ReMPRO is to address systemic level challenges at African institutions in creating and sustaining enabling research environments for the flourishment of research.
The Programme Officer is responsible for providing routine operational and research support in the implementation and delivery of the overall Research Management Programme which includes Good Financial Grants Practice (GFGP). The incumbent will understand the importance of research and innovation ecosystems and work closely with technical advisors to deliver on Programme activities.
1. Programme Support
- Prepare relevant programme materials required for submission to the different stakeholders
- Attend programme related meetings and represent the Programme Manager at the meetings
- Manage engagement with the digital community in collaboration with the Communications Team to ensure content on the programme website is updated on a timely basis. This includes providing image and video content for the website
- Undertake administrative duties by organising meetings/conferences, with support from Procurement Team following up with vendors to ensure delivery of supplies and services
- Support other programmes and departments within the organisation in the delivery of their mandate through provision of operational and research support, and, participating in the other committees as assigned
- Serve as the primary contact person for programme policies and procedures
- Perform administrative support duties, manage programme or office documentation, and coordinate conference calls or travel arrangements
- Maintain and update databases and records on programming activities for programme monitoring and evaluation purposes
- Prepare background material and tables for briefing and review sessions
- Arranges for the recording and administrative processing of implementing partner request for support (both financial and non-financial)
- Assist with preparation of status and progress reports by providing information, such as financial and other input, prepare tables, charts and draft sections of it as required
- Verify the conformance of project terms of reference with workplans and set objectives
- Ensure that administrative arrangements are in order for conferences, seminars, workshops, training sessions and meetings
- Perform other related tasks/assignments as assigned by the supervisor
2. Research and Innovation Management
- Assist in the developing of the programme for professionalising research and innovation management in Africa
- Identify institutions and individuals to be engaged in the programme
- Undertake evaluation activities for the programme
- Provide the secretariat for the Programme Board
- Promote the value of research and innovation management.
3. Knowledge Sharing and Capacity Building
- Support the sharing of resources with other research and innovation management professionals via a resources portal
- Attending workshops, conferences, and professional development events and keep communicating about professionalisation programme activities
- Support in running in-house training on research and innovation management principles
- Participate and contribute to the relevant policy discussions as necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree from a recognised institution in Science, Public Health, Social Science, Business Administration, Research Administration, Regulatory Science or related field.
- Qualification in Project Planning is an added advantage.
Knowledge and Experience
- At least three years’ experience working in higher education or the research sector with project management experience
- Understanding of current international, national and pan-African issues in research management
- Experience in event planning and/or administration, preparing and delivering professional training advantageous
- Knowledge of the science, technology and innovation landscape in Africa.
Skills and Attributes
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build capacity working in an international and multi-cultural setting
- Meticulous attention to detail including the ability to identify inaccuracies and inconsistencies in data entry and written paperwork
- Have enthusiasm, commitment to results with good planning and organizational skills
- Strong communication skills, presentational skills and ability to address public audiences;
- Good understanding of financial processes and budgeting
- Team player.
All Applicants must submit a filled application form from The AAS website http://aasciences.ac.ke/silo/files/aas-job-application-form2.doc, curriculum vitae, and a cover letter submitted by email to email@example.com, with the Position and Vacancy Number as the Subject no later than 27th February 2019 February 2018. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.